Thursday, August 07, 2008

One more obstacle removed for us Mac users

When I switched from PC to Mac, there were a few applications that I knew that I would leave behind.  The one that stung the most was the ability to host online meetings.  On Windows, there were a number of options available - GotoMeeting, WebEx, Oracle iMeeting.  You could attend some of these meetings with Mac OS X, but you could not host a meeting.  Not fun.

Well, I'm happy to report that this is no longer the case, as it seems that both GotoMeeting and WebEx are offering full Mac OS X clients now, eliminating the need to spin up a Windows VM every time I want to conduct an on-line meeting.

This is great news, and so far, the GotoMeeting Mac client has worked almost flawlessly!  The one downside is that you can only share your desktop; not a specific application or region.  WebEx does allow specific application and region sharing, and I hope that this feature is on the radar for GotoMeeting in the near future.

1 comment:

Robert O'Neill said...

Scott,

Hi there. My name is Robert O'Neill, and I work for Glance Networks, the makers of the screensharing/webconferencing tool Glance. I came across your post and just wanted to inform you that we've offered a MacOS version of Glance since early 2007, and it's still going strong; a huge percentage of our userbase is Mac-native. I'd encourage you to check Glance out, and in fact we're currently offering a free year of Glance to bloggers like yourself. If you go to www.glance.net, sign up for our free trial, and then email me at bobby@glance.net with your username, I'll extend your trial to a year.

Thanks very much and I hope this helps!